Spring is in the air here in Fort Lauderdale and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The Solar Air Inc. team has some recommendations that will help keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home appear as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to coincide with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your amazing sabbatical on social media, but try to wait until after you return to post anything about your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to cut back on energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Solar Air Inc. in Fort Lauderdale a call at 954-320-7398.