Whether you appreciate winter or desire the warmer months in Fort Lauderdale, most of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Look at the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it must be replaced. We recommend at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can fix temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The professionals at Solar Air Inc. can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Solar Air Inc. in Fort Lauderdale a call to start down the right path. You can reach us at 954-320-7398 or book an appointment with us online.