According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are completely opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you peek inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have bugs or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Solar Air Inc. in Fort Lauderdale about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the pros at Solar Air Inc. . Annual checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Inspecting your system often and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts clear.
Other ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and put in new filters when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Fort Lauderdale home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning now. Call the experts at Solar Air Inc. at 954-320-7398 or make an appointment online.